Monday, August 9, 2010

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate- the bad guy in your soap!


I had a very cool revelation today, and I plan to share it... with YOU!!

For years I have had peeling skin on my hands. Sometimes it reached the point where it was embarrassing- I mean a lot of peeling skin!

I have thought that it was a mineral or vitamin deficiency; and since I started the Barbarian drinks, and the otherwise Paleo diet, sans grains and legumes, it has improved...

But it always is kind of "there"; a little peeling, sometimes more, sometimes less...

But FINALLY, (I can be somewhat obtuse at times), I realized one thing:

It was always worst after my morning shower!!

I had been reading about SLS, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. This is the chemical that is added to virtually all commercial soaps and shampoos. (Except for ONE!)

The additive, SLS, is a known skin irritant, can cause hair loss, and is a primary ingredient in engine degreasers.

It's also in most soaps, shampoos, detergents,toothpastes... the list goes on and on.

WHY?


Because it's cheap. And it gives a "foaming" effect that customers like. It SUCKS, at least for human care products....(Garage floor oil sludge cleaning- it's golden!)

Ok. Look at the photo above, of my utterly smooth, non-peeling hand!

This
is because, two days ago, I stopped using the body wash and shampoo I used before, and switched to...

drumroll please!!



Ivory Soap! (BAR soap)!


I wash my body, my hands, and then my HEAD with the soap from the bar!

NO REACTION, no peeling, zip-zero-nada!!


I wish all my problems were so simple.

SLS is, in my opinion, the equivalent of high fructose corn syrup in the diet-

pure poison!

Avoid it. Just like grains. Just like beans, and other legumes like peanuts.

Ivory is just real soap. PRIMAL soap. Paleo soap. barbarian soap!

Also,
it's really cheap! (real things usually are!) You can always opt for designer/organic/trendy, but this is the primal option...


Just one caveat:


The other products under the Ivory aegis, like the liquid soap, the detergents, etc.-


They all contain SLS! Thanks, Proctor and Gamble!


Caveat emptor!

Jbird




1 comment:

V. Iagra said...

This blog is all about the health and fitness. It explains the article named as Sodium Lauryl Sulphate-the bad guy in your soap.